The State of California issues a few different varieties of license to practice therapy. I’m both a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) and a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC). These roles are similar, but not quite identical. I thought it might be useful to help you unscramble the alphabet soup:

A Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor works with individuals to help deal with life situations, reduce stress, experience growth, change behavior, and make well-informed, rational decisions.

A Marriage and Family Therapist works with individuals, couples, or groups to examine interpersonal relationships for the purpose of achieving more adequate, satisfying, and productive relationship and family adjustments.

So, depending on the background and license of the therapist, therapy can focus on you as an individual and/or how you manage in the larger context of your relationships. I’m happy to be able to offer both approaches. Email me and we can discuss the best ways I can provide you with some help.

Paul Silverman

Paul Silverman, MFT LPCC
San Francisco, CA


FacebookTwitterRSS Feed

Email me or call 415/820-1590 for a free 20-minute consultation