When we experience overwhelming fear or helplessness, sometimes these experiences stay with us. Are you familiar with any of these symptoms?
- Always feeling unsafe
- Loss of time or memories/blackouts
- Dissociation: feeling like you’re “outside of yourself” or “not really here”
- Feeling like you’re re-experiencing a disturbing event
- Avoidance of situations that remind you of a disturbing event
- Strong anxiety when something reminds you of a disturbing event
These can be ways your nervous system is processing trauma. If the symptoms listed above are getting in the way of your life, there are ways to work with past trauma that can help you feel safe again.
Trauma-informed care can be crucial in helping you move on from the symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). We can’t change the past, but we can keep it from running your life.
I’m a Certified Clinical Trauma Professional with the International Association of Trauma Professionals and the former Clinical Director of The SAGE Project, an agency focusing in trauma work and trauma-informed care.
What happened to you in the past doesn’t have to define your future.
Email or call me at 415-820-1590 for a FREE consultation.